Become a Staff Sustainability Champion in 2018
Fancy getting involved in helping your department or group be sustainable?
Want the opportunity to learn more about sustainability and make a positive difference?
If you said yes to any (or all!) of the above then you should be one of our Bangor Sustainability Champions. We are recruiting staff volunteers for the Bangor Sustainability Champions scheme and all you need to do is sign up below.
Our Sustainability Champions are a network of enthusiastic staff who are involved in raising awareness of sustainability at the University, encouraging others to join in to contribute to the goal to make Bangor University ‘The Sustainable University’.
Champions act as a two-way communication link between their departments and The Sustainability Lab team. This helps drive the University’s Sustainability agenda and promote sustainability improvements and best practice across the University.
A commitment to, and enthusiasm for, sustainability as encapsulated in the University’s 2015-2020 Strategic Plan.
- To assist The Sustainability Lab Team in raising awareness of sustainability in your School/Department and across the University
- Alert/advise Head of School/Department on sustainability issues
- Talk to people you work with about sustainability, become a point of contact in your area
- Facilitate communication on sustainability within the School/Department
- Proactively disseminate information and advice from The Sustainability Lab Team and other University officers as and where appropriate
- Advise The Sustainability Lab Team of best practise to be shared
- Be a source of advice/guidance to colleagues
- Provide input into University related sustainability events
- Bring questions, suggestions and concerns and generate new ideas and feedback to The Sustainability Lab Team
- Be part of a small sustainability team in your School/Department
- Promote sustainability successes at Bangor while highlighting and helping to correct issues
- Attend Sustainability ThinkTank meetings when possible to report progress and share ideas on specific issues at networking sessions
- Guidance from The Sustainability Lab Team
- The Sustainability Lab website which includes a dedicated area for Sustainability Champions
- Regular email bulletins outlining progress, initiatives and opportunities
- Publicity materials (posters, stickers, leaflets, web, social media etc)
Benefits to the department
By appointing a Sustainability Champion, your department will be demonstrating your dedication to the University’s sustainability commitments. This role description empowers your Champion to run or get involved in schemes and initiatives that can positively impact your department’s sustainability credentials. They can raise any issues or anomalies, share best practice and discuss progress and new ideas with the University’s Sustainability Lab Team throughout the year.